Foresters Begin 2018-19 with Tie at Superior

Photo by Matt Weidner
Photo by Matt Weidner

Junior forward Tyler O'Neill scored for the first time as a Forester but two goals from the University of Wisconsin-Superior in the third period ended the season opener for both teams at 3-3.

There were a total of 12 combined penalties in the contest and the Foresters were able to capitalize on the first. A shot from the point from senior defenseman Luke Meade created a rebound opportunity and senior forward Cody Guidorzi buried the loose change at the 7:15 mark of the first period. Despite being outshot 15-6 in the opening frame, Lake Forest went into the locker room ahead 1-0.

A season after being named to the NCHA All-Freshman Team, sophomore forward Aaron O'Neill wasted no time getting back on the scoresheet. With the Foresters on the penalty kill just 1:22 into the second period, O'Neill rushed down the right side and threw a shot on net from the half wall that snuck past the goalie, giving Lake Forest a 2-0 lead. Just 6:14 later the Yellowjackets scored a shorthanded goal of their own to cut the Forester lead to one.

The other O'Neill was next to score for the visitors. Tyler O'Neill redirected a point shot from sophomore defenseman Reed Scahill into the goal, restoring Lake Forest's two-goal lead. It was the first career score for Tyler O'Neill in his 18th game as a Forester. 

Chances were back and forth for both teams in the final frame and Superior was able to pull even while outshooting the Foresters 16-7 in the frame.

Five additional minutes of opportunity was played but the game ended in a 3-3 tie.

Forester senior goaltender Louis-Philippe De Courcy finished the night with 41 saves, the second-highest single-game total of his career.

Lake Forest will travel to the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire on Saturday with face-off set for 7:00 p.m.

by Cam McGuire

Foresters Fall at Adrian
February 1, 2019 Foresters Fall at Adrian
Lake Forest Outscores MSOE 6-4
November 30, 2018 Lake Forest Outscores MSOE 6-4